Due to the recent COVID-19 virus pandemic and the need to effectively combat its spread, the following information is being provided for guidance of cleaning Altro floor and wall products.
There are many disinfectants that are effective with eliminating the COVID-19 (Coronavirus). However, it is important to note than in order for disinfectants to be fully effective on surfaces, a thorough cleaning is essential (from CDC Guidelines). The processes of cleaning and disinfecting are different and equally important.
Disinfection is the process of eliminating or reducing harmful microorganisms from inanimate objects and surfaces. To effectively sanitize or disinfect an area, you must remove dirt and debris from the surface first. Sanitizers and disinfectants cannot effectively penetrate through dirt and debris to work properly. For guidance on cleaning Altro flooring, see our cleaning and maintenance guide on our website.
- Sanitizer will reduce and lower the number of bacteria on a surface.
- Disinfectant will kill specified fungi, bacteria, and viruses (these disinfectant chemicals must be EPA registered for the specified target).
- Disinfectant chemical selection will be part of the facilities Infection Control and Environmental Services plan and will not, nor can they be, specified by a flooring manufacturer.
There are many disinfectants that are proven to kill COVID-19. Here are a couple common agents with which we have experience and know that if used properly have been shown not to cause damage to our floors and walls.
All disinfectant products if not used per instructions and recommendations may in fact damage a floor and impact both individual and environmental health.
- Professional Lysol Disinfectant Spray (EPA Registration Number: 777-99) is easy to use and can be sprayed on hard-to-wipe surfaces. For mopping and cleaning water.
- Virex II 256 by Diversey Inc. is approved by the CDC and has been used on our floors in the past without damage.
For a full list of approved disinfectants for use against COVID-19, visit the CDC website at: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2
Detergent or disinfectant?
Cleaning with detergent and water is usually adequate for surfaces such as floors, and thorough cleaning renders most items free of infection risk. Disinfectants should only be used on environmental surfaces where potential risks are identified (e.g., decontamination of potentially infectious spills, isolation rooms or ambulances). When patient is discharged or when isolation is discontinued, areas should be cleaned thoroughly and the surfaces wiped over with the appropriate disinfectant.
For additional CDC information, please visit: https://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infectioncontrol/faqs/cleaning-disinfecting-environmental-surfaces.html
Please note that Altro is not the expert in disinfecting or chemicals needed or used for these processes, and we cannot assume responsibility for any damage that may be caused to any Altro floor or wall product by the use of disinfecting chemicals or disinfecting cleaning procedures. All assurances of a product’s effectiveness and suitability must come from the product/disinfectant manufacturer.
Download the COVID-19 sanitizing and disinfectant statement PDF